SO YOU WANT to LIVE in COSTA RICA the Adventures, Trials and Tribulations of Settling in Paradise

15 Mar

This is the continuation of a series of blogs to promote the e-book SO YOU WANT to LIVE in COSTA RICA – which is a guide to… the Adventures, Trials and Tribulations of Settling in Paradise… This is a guide book that will give you the kind of insider’s knowledge that you might wish you had before you made your decision to move or not move to Costa Rica.

Every blog entry will start with the appendix because that way when you read whatever else I have posted it will 1. make sense (I hope) and 2. give you a point of reference in case you realize you need to read something that is “archived”.  Because if you read every blog I enter you will have eventually read the whole e-book and won’t need to order it for $2.99 from Amazon or B&N.  All you’ll be missing are the photos that show what you might expect if you choose to undertake the Adventures, Trials and Tribulations of Settling in Paradise.

As I said, I will start each blog with the appendix so that the reader can reference important elements of the book to archived blogs.  The page numbers shown are the actual page they appear on in the book. Here is the Appendix – and these are all the nuggets and their corresponding page numbers: Definition of “nugget” – 3, Doors & Windows – 7, Manufacturing – 11, Real Estate – 11, Shipping – 12,Maps, – 15, Corporations – 20, Traffic Cops – 23, Know basic Spanish – 30, Panama – 33, Roof Line – 42, Plumita Pacifica Web Address – 65, Getting the Best a Tico has to Offer – 84, Power Surges – 86, Liberia Airport – 88, Attitude – 104, Cellular Phones – 117, Newspapers – 18, Your Embassy – 137, Buying & Selling Cars – 154, Drive Slowly – 161, Arriving at the Airport – 168, Wages & Prices – 170, Undertows – 226, Life Ring – 230, Avoiding Customs Confiscations – 234, Driving Rules – 236, Walking in the City – 249, Purchasing Anything – 258, Buying Fresh Produce – 263, Bus Tickets – 272, to “Bribe” or not to “Bribe” – 313, Traffic ticket Prices – 315, Exiting the Country – 337

Chapter 17

DRUNK DRIVERS

In a very rural area such as Playa Junquillal, where the roads absolutely will not allow speeds in excess of 25 mph 90% of the time (during the rainy season) and for the other 10%, 10 mph is risky, drunk drivers are not as likely to injure innocent people.  That is, drunk divers of cars or trucks.  Motorcycles are a different story.  I have heard a couple harrowing tales involving motorcycles and quads (those 4-wheel things that are designed to go most anywhere at speeds that can mess you up real good if you crash).  But the good news there is that in the vast majority of accidents involving either of those vehicles it’s usually only the riders that are injured.

That is all good news (except to the injured riders) but in the urban part of C.R., meaning mostly around San Jose, drunk drivers are as big or bigger problem than they are in the U.S.  Even though they do have tuff laws here, their police force is inadequate to enforce them.  So people get drunk and drive and the traffic fatalities keep increasing year after year.  As a matter of fact, because of paying so many bribes to traffic cops I became almost friendly with one.  So one day I ran into him when he was off duty and asked him why I never saw traffic cops at night.  His answer, as incredulous as it sounds, was that it’s dangerous at night for the cops!  He said the bad guys have guns and try to shot them!  Maybe that’s also the reason in downtown San Jose in the day time you see groups of two or three cops every few blocks but at night they are all gone.  I pointed out that it was at night that most of the bad stuff happens.  He agreed, but fell back on the “it’s not safe for us and the bad guys have bigger guns than we have” argument.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: